Sunday, May 27, 2012

Using Prezi to Develop Disciplined and Synthesizing Minds


Prezi and the Disciplined and Synthesizing Mind

On the Move...a prezi by Laura Trimarco http://prezi.com/ru4oyy7qntsk/on-the-move/

The Disciplined Mind

Plato: “Through education we need to help students find pleasure in what they have to learn.” (Gardner, 2007)

           The “prezi” format sets that up perfectly. It is difficult to imagine ANY subject matter being interminably boring as the ideas literally bounce across the page…keeping the learner’s entire being engaged and intrigued by the topic. What’s coming next? Can I predict the next slide? Will I be surprised? Will it be a video? Will it be a fun task? The possibilities are endless, and the unexpected nature of the format keeps learners on their toes as they explore the topic at hand. Prezi is just plain playful and fun…and at its heart, that is what learning SHOULD be.
          Prezi is the quintessential opportunity to provide “multiple entry points” for the exploration of a single discipline. “Playing” within the prezi compels the learner to momentarily disengage from one treatment of the content, then quickly re-engage the content, quite literally, from a different angle. It provides a little “brain break” as it moves through the program. A learner doesn’t get bored by slogging through the same-old-same-old of a linear presentation. The mind does not have time to “wander” off-topic. Many different learning styles and multiple intelligences can be seamlessly woven through the presentation. It is possible to put something for everyone within a well-crafted product.
           As a creator of a prezi, a person needs to identify the truly important topics or concepts within the content (Gardner, 2007).  Prezi flashes are short, sweet, and blissfully to the point. If a teacher wanted to create a fun, interactive method of reviewing important content prior to an exam, this would be a great tool. For that matter…it rather lends itself to a fun self-testing format…get a question…flash to the answer.

The Synthesizing Mind

           To construct this, my first, prezi, I synthesized an encyclopedia of information. For me, it was mostly a matter of putting together my rudimentary  technological skills for something I perceived as “quite advanced.” I realized I’d been waiting to understand all the programming that goes into embedding a video, creating an audio, etc. I finally realized that that IS rocket science, and I’m not accountable for it…I just need to push the ignition button, do a little steering, and I’m okay. I had to think about which elements would best be presented in which format. That took some critical thinking. I had to pick and choose the content I wanted to include. As fun as prezi is, it’s difficult to imagine spending a LONG time bouncing around a screen. If I had to do all those things to create a prezi, my students will have to do all of those things to create their OWN prezis…and that will take some POWERFUL synthesizing and critical-thinking skills. Prezi can build synthesis in both the “playing” side AND the creation side of the learning transaction. In short, I’m hooked.

Gardner, Howard. (2007). Five minds for the future. Boston: Harvard Business School Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment