Sunday, July 1, 2012

Welcome, EDIM 514!

I am currently a third grade teacher in a politically and socially conservative district (Douglas County Schools, Douglas County, Colorado), yet I have the most advanced and progressive technology and pedagogy at my disposal (you think YOU'RE confused). Actually, it's a great school and classroom environment, and I will not complain. We are expected to learn and use technology to its fullest, and that brought me to the Instructional Media program...five minute introductions to prezi and glogster at weekly staff meetings just weren't cutting it.

I come from an inner city, ESL background. As a first-year teacher, I pioneered the first "Spanish-to-English transition" program in Denver Public Schools in 1997. After taking a break to raise a son, I re-entered teaching in one of the most affluent counties in the known universe. While I sometimes roll my eyes, I feel extremely fortunate to have the opportunities I have to grow as a teacher and to work with so many rich curricular and technology resources. My intent is to take these rich experiences, and SOMEHOW, SOME WAY translate them to teaching in Africa...my first love among all first loves.

My current school is developing from the ground-up. We are teaching with a project-based learning philosophy and heavily infusing technology into our every day learning experiences. I frequently joke with my principal that if she could, she would require ALL of us to enroll in this EDIM program...it fits that closely with what we do.

This is my fourth Wilkes course. Each course has been extremely relevant and immediately useful. I don't know any other grad student teachers who can say that they take what they did for university work the night before and put it to use the next day for kids, but this is, quite literally, a program that does that. That's why I chose it, but more often than not, big ideas disappoint. This Wilkes program has NOT disappointed. Three courses later, I have, quite honestly, ticked-off a couple of "digital natives" with my newly acquired expertise...one that is usually a bit above their own...Well, honestly, I myself do get a little vexxed when an immigrant uses better English grammar than I do, so I guess I understand.

Four Wilkes University EDIM courses....$4800.00.
Three chagrined digital natives...PRICELESS.

No comments:

Post a Comment